Monday, March 10, 2014

Bootleg Toy Review : Bootleg Elsa 12" doll



DISCLAIMER : This blog/review does NOT,in any way,encourage people to buy bootleg/fake/counterfeit products.The reviews I make serves only as a guide for people.

Hey!!!
I'm alive! and I didn't make you wait for a year for a post! ;P
anyways,before the review I'm just going to tell you the story how I got the doll. Like many others,I was a victim of the frozen mania,and that made me want most of the frozen merch .One night I was browsing the internet,I was at this Chinese website that sells mostly fake stuff and I stumbled upon this!!! It was an elsa bootleg doll,it was really pretty(for me). Fast forwarding a month later,I got really bored and I decided to get on my bike and explore our subdivision then I suddenly saw a different version of the bootleg elsa doll,and pretty much it was love at first sight.I knew that the doll was bad quality but I also know that she had to go home with me. I bought her for P200 (4-5 USD),which is pretty expensive for a bootleg. I didn't care though.The reason? Toy stores in our country looks like they won't restock on frozen dolls anymore.
It's pretty tough to be a toy collector here in the Philippines.But anyways on to the review!!!


I present you
Princess Elsa Of Arendelle!
This is the bootleg Elsa doll that I was talking about.She uses the Disney store/JC penney face and/or body mold.  She wears a dress that is nowhere near "movie accurate" and she is wearing Mattel Anna's boots(minus the paint details.)
Elsa's face was slightly OOAK'd by me.her face was identical to the disney store doll before.

Apparently,to avoid copyright infringement they had to replace "disney" with "fashion".

top view of the box.
Side of the box

other side

text found at the bottom of the sides

close-up of elsa

Back View

Close-ups :




Bottom View
It says "Beatrice",more on that later

Deboxing was pretty easy....

Here is elsa,Slightly De-boxed


She is held by one Twist tie.One. (yes,I'm Looking at you Disney store doll boxes! ) ;P 

 and she's free ^^
Blogger decided to upload it sideways again...sorry


Here we see the doll's hair is quite different from the doll it copied.The Disney Store/JC Penny version has Longer hair and has the spiky short hair.This doll's hair rooting pattern is in "Ponytail" ,quite similar to almost all of the knock-off barbies out there. 


One thing I should note is that,only her head and her arms are vinyl-ish,the rest of her body is hard,hollow plastic.Her hands look very pretty though,I think they molded it off the JCP version.


As I said earlier,Her boots are from Mattel's Frozen Anna doll. I think its weird that they included it with Elsa. This makes me wonder if they actually made an Anna bootleg(snicker).But setting these aside,Anna's boots look really awesome.

                                      

It has a huge slit at the back for easy removal,but it doesn't fall off. Yay! :D
Since I removed the boots,I decided to undress her....

Elsa : Boy,that Escalated quickly!

This bootleg Elsa doll wears a short blue dress with velcro closure at the back.The dress is actually good quality.I like it's dress pattern,with pleats and stuff.(I am a complete dressmaking/tailoring illiterate). The ribbon on her dress is just for looks,it cannot be untied. Her outfit is not accurate to the movie,but it looks very familiar.


Here is Elsa again,I just wanted to note a couple of things....
first,She has these markings on her back and head.


If you cant see it clearly,it says Beatrice.The Beatrice logo also appeared at the bottom of the box.Theoretically speaking,this "Beatrice" I think is the manufacturer of these bootleg dolls....



Another interesting thing about this doll,her legs are strung so tightly that sometimes they do this :



She crosses her legs! I know it's just a defect but it kinda looks good,Elsa was known for her grace. It's a bit annoying at times since it knocks of the shoes she wears when she does this.

Now for the interesting part,we take off elsa's braid! she came packaged with a braid...

Her hair was very wavy.
 Looks pretty right? posed like that,yes.
but posed like this :
ummm...effects of aging I guess?
 
this was the ponytail rooting pattern I was talking about earlier. The hairs were just rooted on the sides,then it's tied on a ponytail style(or in Elsa's case,a braid) to make it look like the doll has a whole head of hair,but in reality,she doesn't. Take this piece of advice,if ever possible, when browsing the fake barbie section,you should avoid dolls styled in ponytails (or a hair style like elsa's),this doesn't apply to all fake dolls though.
Setting aside those facts,I find her hair easy to comb but has a few tangles at the end(happens to most doll hair,Original and fake dolls,sometime even to humans.)

Since her hair bothered me a lot. I decided to re-style it. But just in case you bought a fake doll and her hair bothers you too,I included this tutorial for recreating Elsa's hair style for ponytail rooted dolls.With pictures :D

STEP 1 : Grab some of her hair in the front.
 

STEP 2 : Fold it half and the ends of her hair should be hidden.

STEP 3 : Grab some hair on the left ,right and bottom side of her head. By this time you are now holding all of the hair that wasn't folded.
STEP 4 : Overlap the fold. Braid the hair.

 And you are done :
Not much different,but it did make a little improvement.
Don't worry if the hair didn't turn out like the above image,it takes a couple of tries to get it right.

For some pretty stupid reason,I decided to do a hair tutorial before doing a comparison.But since the damage has been done here is a comparison with elsa and some dolls
Left to Right : Disney Store 2010 Tiana,A random Barbie Doll,Bootleg Elsa,Bootleg Ariel
Lets start of with the bodies.At first,I thought all of their bodies looked similar.but upon closer inspection,Elsa's body is close to the mold of the Barbie doll on her left.They even have the same molded pattern on their underwear.Elsa's body has a slight similarity to the Ariel doll on the right,but they are only similar on the chest and belly button area. Tiana, for some reason,doesn't have a similarity in terms of body mold ; her boobs are rounder and smaller, her belly button is different from the others and her underwear doesn't show any signs of being molded on.




 Next thing is their hands,Elsa has hands with splayed fingers.Compared to Ariel,Elsa's hand looks big.But compared to the barbie and Tiana's hands,theyre about the same size.Surprisingly tiana's hands are very similar with elsa's hands.Barbies right hand is similar but the left one(not pictured) is a different hand.
 



Time to dress her up for a photoshoot! but this time,she is NOT wearing her original outfit.So expect the rest of the photos of elsa in an unfinished OOAK dress.and shoes.


OOAK Elsa shoes,made by me.
the snow glows white.....

Let it go...

Elsa's Frozen Heart.



The only thing missing in this picture is snow.Lots of it.

I really like this angle. <3
Wild Ariel appears!
 I included ariel in the photoshoot since she was having a great hair day.

Complementary sideways pic,courtesy of blogger....
Final verdict?This Elsa doll,is rated a 3 out of 5 for me.She isn't worth the amount I paid for but she has a very pretty face and has a unique skin tone.This doll,as far as I know, is pretty sturdy and can hold up for playtime.The things that bugs me are her clothes and accessories(accessory in her case),her outfit is not movie accurate and she even has the wrong shoes for the character,I wish there were more accessories though. Her hair is a bit disturbing,specially for a child that expects to play with it but as a collector ,it won't bother me as long as I don't touch it.  The doll is a good stand in since most of the Frozen dolls(both disney store and mattel) are being scarce,and for the price of 200 pesos,I think it's a nice bargain.That is all for my first review.Thank you for reading and have a good day~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment